Friday, August 22, 2014

Every Boat Has a Story


I had to say goodbye to an old friend this past weekend. This old '73 Fireball was the boat that got me interested in sailing. It is not mine, but was owned by my best friend Rich. We didn't race her, but simply goofed around, trying to make her go, keep her vertical, and keep our heads out of the boom. Rich died of a heart attack in May and I took it as my task to find this (and all of Rich's boats) a good home. She sits here, awaiting a ride on the Badger to take her to her new home in Wisconsin. Her new owner will use her to get involved in the Fireball class. She may be parted out, she may not, but at least she won't rot on a trailer or blocks. Some form of useful life awaits.

It was hard to say goodbye to her. I actually hadn't been on her in years (I have my own boats now), but she represented another piece of my friend, an extension of him, which I had to let go. I brought my 9 year old daughter with me for the drop-off and was touched as she put her head on the bow to say goodbye (and she had never been on the boat). It amazing how a boat, more so than other "artifacts" of one's existence, can embody the personality of the individual. We laugh on boats, swear on boats, learn on boats, teach on boats, or simply communicate and bond on them.

They say every boat has a story. May yours be full and meaningful. Feel free to share it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment