Sunday, September 14, 2014

Things I've learned from Ebay & Craigslist

I frequently search Ebay and the Michigan Craigslists to see what is out there (and to dream about what I could have with infinite money and space). This is the first installment of a series that I will call "Things I've learned from Ebay and Craigslist". Both of today's "things" are in Michigan.

Thing 1 - The Grumman Aircraft Engine Company actually made sailing dinghies in the 1950-60s. Designed by Phillip Rhodes, these 8.5' aluminum dinghies are popular with collectors. The dinghy in the picture is available in Michigan (via Ebay).  I don't know how many of these were produced. I know that Grumman made a variety of canoes and other boats.
Thing 2 - There is actually a boat class named "Megabyte". Designed by Farr Yachts, this composite boat is 14.3' overall and weighs 130 lbs.  With its two-part carbon fiber mast and Mylar sail, the Megabyte is designed to sail with 1-2 people. It looks to be a lightweight, stable, but "techy" racing dinghy.

No comments:

Post a Comment